Friday, September 18, 2009

Hello my wonderful family and friends!

So I realized that I neglected to say whether I was still sick or feeling better in last weeks email (thanks to my mom). Yes! I was way better last week and am feeling great this week. No signs of sickness at all and my ankle is still sore but I play basketball and soccer on it now anyway ;)
Cool thing happened yesterday, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles came and spoke to us. Crazy cool! He has always been one of the most famous missionary speakers because of his "Miracle of a Mission" talk he gave at the MTC years ago. He talked all about how a mission truly is the greatest blessing he ever recieved in his life besides his "perfect" wife. He the says that he would not have even had a chance with his wife if he hadn't gone on his mission. He sincerely attributes every major blessing in his life to his mission. It was incredible. Another thing I really liked was how he talked about "the war in heaven" and how that war has carried on into this life. Used the "armor of God" analogies and all. He reffered to us as warriors, then referred to us as medics because we are only trying to heal the world. It's hard to explain it all, but I loved it! He seriously covered like a million different things in like an hour and I wish I could write them all but there's no time!
Thankyou so much mother and family for the package! I loved the ties, newsletter, protein bars (haha), and medicine. I especailly like how you sent me the shirt and ties gift wrapped, it just makes it that much more exciting. If you'd like to send another that'd be great ;) (but you don't have to). The package was amazing and you guys have been amazing for all the Dear.Elders you've sent (unlike my friends)... Haha out of the hundreds of people who said they'd write me, only like 4 have. But honestly, it's ok. I'm not offended at all. I realize how easy it is to forget to write when you're busy with life. I was unfortunately the same way before my mission.
So I guess the last couple weeks I've sounded kinda bummed out about being here at the MTC? Let me just tell you that it was rough for a couple weeks, but I'm grateful to be here. One thing I've gained a strong testimony of this week is how you truly can find the answers to ALL life's problems in the scriptures. It's not just some cheezy catch phrase or slogan. Every single day this week I have found something in the scriptures that has helped me. Ranging from all sorts of different topics (missing home, missing "somebody," difficulties with my companion, how to teach better, not looking forward to the end, etc. etc...).
Hebrews 13:17 "...do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you"
Proverbs 24:10 "If thou faint in the day of adversity, thy strength is small"
Proverbs 15:32 "He that refuseth instruction despiseth his own soul: but he that heareth reproof getteth understanding."
1 Nephi 7:12 The Lord is able and willing to do all things for us "if" we exercise faith in him first.
The list of scriptures just goes on and on. I love the scriptures and I love being a missionary. It's extremely difficult, but I can already see how It's changing me into a better person.
Thank you all for the love and support. I love you guys very much and hope you are doing well. Be safe, be good, and keep the faith!

Love,
Elder Matthew D. Mooney


PS... 2 weeks and 4 days about

No comments:

Post a Comment